Mon – Fri 7:30am – 5:30pm
Sat: 8 AM – 10 AM (Boarding and food/prescription pickup ONLY)

Pet Holiday Safety

It is the season of peace, love, light, and joy. It’s time to visit family and friends. It’s time for party cheer and fun. Festive candles and Kinaras are lit, holiday decor is is shimmering, bows and ribbons adorn gifts, fires burn, treats and food are abundant and Christmas trees are decorated. With all of the celebration and merriment, it is important to plan for pet safety in your home.

Christmas trees can be very tempting for cats and dogs. Your cat may view the tree as her/his new climbing post or a comfy place to perch and look out the window. Your dog may see the ornaments as new toys to play with and chew. Therefore, it’s important to make sure your tree is safely secured. Just in case your dog bumps it or pulls on it to get that prize ornament, or your cat tries to climb it, the tree and all of your beautiful decorations won’t come crashing down.

It is important to be mindful of the decorations you use on the tree and throughout your home.

Glass tree ornaments can be hazardous. Ornaments are colorful and often shiny. They are attractive and pets are curious. If your pet knocks an ornament off the tree, both you and your pet could be injured. Use unbreakable or plastic ornaments to be safe.

Tinsel is a big no-no when it comes to pets. Some pets just can’t resist the shiny tinsel. All it takes is one piece of tinsel to cause a life-threatening situation for a pet. Tinsel can become lodged in the gastrointestinal tract and cause many problems, all requiring emergency surgery.

Candles should never be left unattended, even for just a minute. With the flick or wag of a tail, a candle can topple or fur can catch fire. Singed hair, burns, and house fires are preventable. Consider using battery powered candles. If you use real candles, place them in pet safe places and watch them carefully. Never leave them unattended.

Many holiday foods and drinks can make your pet sick. Indulging in your pet’s begging can result in his or her upset stomach or even pancreatitis ( a painful condition that causes vomiting and diarrhea). Our pets aren’t accustomed to eating fatty foods like turkey, gravy, and mashed potatoes. Small amounts of turkey (white meat only and no bones) and plain vegetables are usually alright as long as they are shared in moderation. However, it is best to ask your guests to refrain from feeding your pet. If you are a guest, don’t feed your host’s pet.Some pets may try to take a sip of a beer, wine, hot chocolate, or eggnog. Chocolate is poisonous to your pets and alcohol poisoning can occur quickly, so keep drinks out of reach, too.

Check out our page regarding poisonous foods and plants on our website. Take a few moments to check your home for possible holiday hazards and you and your pets will enjoy a safe and happy holiday season!




Request an Appointment

"*" indicates required fields

MM slash DD slash YYYY
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Mon - Fri 7:30am - 5:30pm
Sat: 8 AM – 10 AM (Boarding and food/prescription pickup ONLY)